Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Highland Fling 2010

The 2010 Highland Fling is fast approaching, matter of fact it's happening this weekend. Preparations for the race has been interrupted severely this year in the lead up to the race. From 6 weeks out I was getting good mileage into the legs from the commute to work and back with nice hard and intensive rides. Since then, I have changed jobs and moved house which put me on the back burner for 2 weeks of inactivity.

As soon as we settled into the new abode I started back commuting into the CBD to my new place of employment. A little longer in distance, duration and a little more hillier. A good recipe for the Fling one would think. Regained some much need fitness and got to a point where I was happy where I was in my riding conditioning as I even managed to have some mid-week lunch time running sessions thrown in.

A couple of wet weekends have put a downer on some much needed off track workout as well a broken spoke at beginning of a training ride up the Oaks and back. The sun came out at last a couple of weeks ago and I managed to get up to Wentworth Falls to do Andersons and Oaks. I was going solo as Howard and Ronnie have pulled out of the event citing personal reasons.

The ride was going really well, albeit I had too much air in the tires. I stopped after 15minutes on Andersons and let out what I thought was enough air. However, that wasn't enough as I struggled up the climb out of Bedford Creek. The rears were slipping and spinning too much. I was in no state in letting any more out at that point in time as I was struggling.

Recovered well enough to make it out of Andersons and go to the start of the Oaks and had a quick stretch and a shot of gel. Ripped off down the Oaks hoping to put in a decent leg. I was meaning to have a break at the helipad but for some reason I did not stop. I knew it was all downhill from here and I thought I could smash it to the gate without a break.

Downhill section down and I approached the gate and feeling a little tired. For the second time I did not stop as there were a few riders there waiting for their mates to arrive. So I hit the single track and doing a fairly solid job after not being on the the MTB for donkeys! Half way through the single track I remembered that I still had too much air in the tires as riding became a lot more treacherous on the slippery stuff.

It had to happen, a combination of fatigue, loss of concentration, too much air on the front and not being on the MTB for a long have me coming unstuck. The front slid out on me and the next thing I knew, I was over the bars and the MTB came crashing down ontop of me and smashing into my right calf.

Layed proned on the ground for a while, initially, I thought I broke my leg and that started the whole scenario thinking that I would need to be air lifted out! As it happened, not 2 weeks before hand one of my mates MVU came a cropper not too far from where I stacked. He managed to brake his right clavical and right wrist. Luckily, he was riding with someone and manage to get a lift out of the National Park to a waiting ambulance. I digress...

After what seemed an eternity, I manage to hop up and removed myself from the riding line and luckily no one came through from the time I went over. Did a quick check of all limbs and I was still intact, however, the leg didn't feel too good. Fixed up the steerer as it was crooked and I tried to mount the bike. So far so good. A couple riders came through by then but didn't stop. I got back on and continued down the single track. Able to keep peadlling I knew I could get back to the car back at Glenbrook Station.

I knew this was going to be a struggle as evertime I had to get off the bike the leg killed. I toughed it out with only granny ring left as the fall wrecked the front shifter. All good, that's all I need to get up the climb out from the creek crossing. I even manage to complete the extended rocky single trail section as I need to hone my skills albeit at a more sedentry pace.

Back at the car, I knew I was in trouble as I started to cool down and standing up was a struggle. Stopped at the bakery to get something into me befoer heading home. Thank goodness for my dear wifer who looked after my gear when I got home as I need to attend to myself.

I was laid up all day Sunday barely able to walk and made sure I followed the RICE principal. Monday was the same and I could not get to work. i got myself to the physio to begin treatment right away.

So far, I yet to be back on the bike and had 3 physio sessions. The swelling has gone down however, there's a massive hard lump in the calf and the leg is still sore. The physio and myself are determine to get me to the starting line this weekend.

Thanks to Ronnie who came over on the weekend to help me out in replacing all my cabling and shifter and getting the MTB back into a rideable state. Also congrats to him on annoucing his engagement and soon to be father!

I'll let you know how it all fair after the race. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment