Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Mont 24 Hour 2011

Well, it's been a while since I posted anything but training has been taking up most of any spare time.


After finishing 2010 on an DNF at the Fling, it was time to recover and re-evaluate my events for 2011. I took a couple weeks off before I started some cross training mainly with some paddling on my surf ski. This was to give my injured calf a break and work on some upper body strength. So over the Christmas and New Year period sitting idle wasn't on my cards. Mid way through January 2011 I was back on the bike to do some base training on the road before I contemplated on what to do for the year.


I gave the Sydney 24hour a miss in 2011 and just as well! Not that the wet put me off last year, it was the extreme heat that the riders faced this year. Apparently, temps hit in excess of 40 degrees! Martin Keenlyside could attest to this, he rode into second place with his riding partner Brad for the second year running. 


So the first event for 2011 was...


The Mont 24 Hour at East Kowen Forest


The Lactic Wastrels Return returned to The Mont for another crack at the 24 hour event. According to my fellow team mates, I held up my end in 2010 and they have invited me back be part of the team.


Leading up the the race it wasn't smooth sailing. Mic, the captain of the team had to withdraw from the event to have his long awaiting head wound fixed once and for all. The wound would not have healed in time for the event. Training weekend before the race saw Cam (Mic's replacement) came a cropper on Pork Barrel at Mt Stromlo and gashed his right forearm serverly. He had to stay in a Canberra hospital overnight before transferring to another one to have surgery to clean and stitch up the wound. Suffice to say, he had to withdraw as well. So the remaining 3 of us, Craig, Kieran and I decide to compete as a triple.


We headed for East Kowen on the Friday morning before Saturday's start to set up camp and do a sighter. There was a slight course modification for the race compared the lap we did the previous weekend. Some how I drew the short straw and ended doing the Le Man style start to the race. They said it was a 500m run from the starting line to the bikes. It was more like 1 kilometer if you asked me. Nonetheless, helmet, gloves, sunnies, riding shoes on I was ready!


The gun went off at 12 midday on the Saturday and over 350 riders/runners set off for the 2011 Mont. I was sitting comfortably around 150 odd mark before I collected my bike off Craig who was handling for me. The first part of the lap of the course was about 2km of fire trail to string out the riders before the bottleneck started on the single tracks. Not much you can do in this situation as everyone are in the same boat. It's no use overtaking! Unless they are ultra slow and hesitant on the downhill section. I finished the lap in a reasonable time and I handed it over to Craig. 


Back at the tent I refuelled with fluids and food and did some maintenance on the bike before I set off for my second lap. The plan was for each of us to do 3 singles and then followed by doubles. I had to put the lights on for my third lap and it was the first time I have used them since the year before. Piece of cake, just like riding a bike. Loved the conditions that I was in and grew more brave with the lines I was taking. Especially enjoying the Kowalski Bros section with a massive grin on my face pales to the grimmace of doing the little pinch climbs.


Salt and vinegar chips were my friend for the race as it replenished the lost salt and mineral content that had depleted from my body as leg cramps in the inner quads deleveloped. Pushed through the cramp barrier and went out to do my double. Kieran smashed out his lap and luckily I got to the transition zone when I did! I took off but knowingly I had a double to do so I backed off the pace a bit to manage my fluid consumption as my frame could only fit a small bidon. I packed a water filled GU bottle in my back jersey for reserves. This all worked out well and I was pretty happy to complete my double as the fifth lap in total took a toll on the body, not only cramps but sever saddle sores!




I went to have a nice warm shower and pizza to eat before crashing for a few hours knowingly that my next stint will be around 7am. I woke to find the weather had changed from cloudless skies to drizzling rain. Kieran reported that the track were no longer duty but sticky mud. The rain came a bit harder and more consistent and the consensous was that we were all happy in what we have achieved and enjoyed a great weekend and not to spoil it but potential falls, spills and damged bikes. So we pulled the pin. I was thankful for that as the body wouldn't agree on another lap or 2.


So we pulled up stumps at 7.30am and called it quits. Packed up in the wet and headed for Goulburn for a nice warm breakfast before arriving back home around just after lunch.


Thanks to Craig Moroz and Kieran Laughton for great a weekend of racing and company.


Note: This was Craig professes that this was his last 24hr event, he'll be dearly missed from future events.

No comments:

Post a Comment